Module Launch 25/01/2021

As the name suggests, the Collaborative Practice module solely entails group work. This module will explore the theme of ‘The Hidden City’ which focuses on revealing parts of Birmingham that are not necessarily noticed. Marks for this project will be 70% group work, while the other 30% is an individual evaluation.

My group members and I launched the module by discussing the catalyst words: utopia, viral, closed, free, growth and divided. …


This post includes all of my notes and thoughts on my Contextual Studies lectures. The topics discussed are consumerism, gender discussion, global discourse, psychoanalysis, designing for the anthropocene and the hyper-connected world.

Consumerism

The definition of capitalism is “an economic and political system in which a country’s trade and industry are controlled by private owners for profit, rather than by the state”. The first question raised in the lecture was whether capitalism works for us. The general consensus was no however there are some pros and cons. …


LinkedIn Learning with John McWade

John McWade’s LinkedIn Learning workshop was helpful in getting an understanding of the basics of a magazine, knowing it’s purpose. Magazines are type and images positioned on a grid. They create an experience for the reader and take them on a journey.

Examples shown at the beginning of the workshop include two different food magazines, Christopher Kimball’s Milk Street and Saveur, both of which have different approaches to layout. Milk Street is an almost square shape with a lot of detailing. The three column design is busy with minimal white space and rectangular photographs. The choice and consistency of typefaces…


Yesterday I had a feedback session with Martin. I went into the session happy with the work that I had produced, for the last few days I’ve been happy that my editorial is near enough done. I knew that I would leave the session with some adjustments to make and luckily nothing was a game changer, I just had some technical amendments to make.


Prior to this editorial project I have been guilty of paying no attention to what my body copy looks like. Following a lecture on typography we were told about 8 simple rules that I have taken into account while planning my layout.

1. Flush left, rag right
Western culture reads left to right so allows for an easy read. Spaces in text creates rivers which is white space between words and can make body copy look dis-jointed; this can be avoided by flushing left.

2. Limit your typefaces
Consider the typefaces you pair together, try and avoid typefaces from the same…


Limbo Magazine was founded during the coronavirus pandemic by Nick Chapin (publisher), Francesca Gavin (writer) and David Lane (of Lane & Associates). Created during the first national lockdown, the magazine aimed to support artists and creatives who faced unemployment.

The name “Limbo” reflects the times we were/are in as the founders acknowledged that as a community designers were struggling. Not being classed as a ‘key worker’ resulted in many losing work, being left with a financial burden.

The magazine successfully fulfilled its social responsibility by distributing all profits evenly between contributors. Acting as a kind of socialism, the magazine is…


On Track 4 included a series of talks from different designers. Sweta Pathak’s talk was informative on the creative process within the industry and what occurs in a brand agency.

Each project begins with a creative brief, these are vital as without it you’ll be lost. They are often very overwhelming and seem chaotic but Pathak said that there is “method in the madness”. It can be referred to as a creative brief, a design brief, a task brief or a do brief, the name doesn’t matter and is a document containing an overview of the problem that is to…

Katie Durkin

Get the Medium app

A button that says 'Download on the App Store', and if clicked it will lead you to the iOS App store
A button that says 'Get it on, Google Play', and if clicked it will lead you to the Google Play store